about 12,000 inhabitants, lies 5 km to the east of Ruedesheim
between Geisenheim and Eltville. It is the biggest wine-growing
municipality in the Rheingau and also in Hessen, its wine area
amounts to about 1,000 hectare; this is a third of the wine acreage
of the Rheingau. From its district Mittelheim there is a ferry
connection to Ingelheim.
If you come from Ruedesheim you
reach at first the district Winkel. The parish church Saint Walburga
with its Romanesque tower from
the 12/13-th century and its nave from the 17-th century is widely
viewable. In front of the church stands a monument of Hrabanus
Maurus (776 - 856), an academic archbishop of Mainz (PRAECEPTOR
GERMANIAE) who should have fed daily 300 arms here in the Rheingau
hunger year 850 A.D.. Behind the church there is the cemetery with
the grave of the romantic poet Karoline von Günderode, a friend
of Bettina von Brentano.
Southwest of the church there stands the
Grey House, one of the oldest stone houses of Germany from the
12-th century. It was the
parent house of the knights of Greiffenclau, one of the oldest
wine-growing genders of Germany which Vollrads did to the ancestral
seat in 1320 (residential tower from the 14-th century, castle
from the 17-th century; now there is also a manor public bar which
lies in the vineyards in the north of Winkel).
To the west of the
church there stands the house of the Brentano’s
which was acquired by the merchandise family of Brentano in 1804,
who lived in Frankfurt am Main. They used it as summer house and
did the meeting place of the Rhine romantics; from the 1st to the
8th of September, 1814 Goethe was a guest of the family of Brentano
(now manor public bar).
The district Mittelheim lies to the east
of Winkel. The Romanesque basilica Saint Aegidius (from break stone)
is especially worth
seeing. It is the only sacred construction except of cloister Eberbach
which is held up in its basic substance from the 12-th century.
The basilica had been built as a minster (at first Augustinians,
then Cistercians). The historical Gothic city hall from the 16-th
century is also worth seeing. At Mittelheim is except for the ferry
to Ingelheim also the railway station of Oestrich-Winkel as well
as the Rheingau-Taunus Kultur und Tourismus GmbH.
The district Oestrich
is the eastern district on the Rhine with its town landmark, the
crane of Oestrich of 1744/45 where the wine
casks were loaded onto the ships. Inside of the crane there is
a big wheel which had to be kept going during the loading by crane
menials. To the north of the crane stands the Oestrich parish church
St. Martin (Martin von Tours was saint of the migration, died 397)
with Romanesque tower from the 12-th century and Late-Gothic nave
from the 16-th century Worth seeing is also the marketplace surrounded
by half-timbered houses (to the west of the church). On the border
to Eltville near on the Rhine there lies the European business
School (EBS), a private college in the former castle Reichartshausen.
district Hallgarten lies to the north-east of Oestrich in the vineyards.
In the parish church Mariae Himmelfahrt (Assumption
Day) with its Romanesque tower (12-th century) and its Romanesque,
Gothic and baroque style elements there is an art-historical jewel:
the Madonna of Hallgarten (with the shard), patroness of the wine
kibble guild of Hallgarten, a created pottery plastic (terracotta)
of an unknown master about 1420. The figure was produced in the
pottery fire reproduction procedure with moulding, her "counterpart",
as it were her sister, is shown in the Louvre in Paris (the "nice
Native of Alsace").
In the current vineyard Fürst zu Löwenstein
(Niederwaldstrasse 7) was in the 19-th century the Itzstein'sche
farm house where
the liberal parliamentarian Adam von Itzstein met disposition friends
regularly between 1832 and 1847; in 1848/49 he was a member of
the German National Assembly in the Frankfurt Paul's church.