Sprache ändern
 
 
   
 
  Middle Rhine Valley
 
  www.ruedesheim.de
 
  Further Information

The capital Wiesbaden

The capital Wiesbaden, 270,000 inhabitants, lies 27 km to the east of Ruedesheim. Wiesbaden is accessible from Ruedesheim by the car on the B 42 and afterwards on the A 66 in about 20 minutes and also with the train and bus.

Wiesbaden is surrounded in the east, the north and the west by hills, in the south it borders on the Rhine. It has a mild climate; due to the position in a basin sometimes it becomes muggy in summer. It has a high leisure value in view of the nearness to Untertaunus in the north and to the Rheingau in the west.

Wiesbaden which was destroyed just a little bit during the 2-nd world war is a relatively young city which is marked by the architectural historism style. At the beginning of 19-th century its development to a cure and resort town began among the dukes of Nassau. 26 hot springs with a temperature of average 66 ° C have contributed substantially to the rise of Wiesbaden - best known is the cooking well.

In the health resort quarter in particular the health resort house of 1907 is to be visited (neo-classicist) where concerts, other cultural arrangements and congresses take place. In the amusement arcade of the predecessor's construction the Russian poet gambled away in 1862 his whole money and received there also his impressions for his novel "Der Spieler".

Beside the health resort house the state theatre lies in a neo-renaissance construction of 1894; in the big house operas, operettas and ballet are performed and in the small house and in the studio plays are performed. Especially known are the international May pageants introduced by emperor Wilhelm I.

The Old Town with the castle square as a centre lies to the west of the health resort quarter. The Protestant market church of 1862 (neo-gothic) is the highest building of Wiesbaden (98 m). The alongside new city hall of 1887 serves as lodging for the city parliament, the mayor and for a part of the city administration. Kitty-cornered there is the old city hall of 1610, the oldest building on the place; it is used as a registry office. Over the way meets the Hessian parliament in the Nassau city castle of 1842 which the dukes of Nassau, who inhabited before the Biebricher castle, had built and in which they resided till 1866. The Wiesbaden nightlife happens in the Wagemannstraße situated to the west of it.

Nassau was an old principality from the 12-th century and had its origin in Nassau an der Lahn. By numerous hereditary divisions it disintegrated into several small states, which were brought together by Napoleon in 1806 within the Rhine alliance again; three years before the Rheingau, which had belong to the archbishopric Mainz for 800 years had become Nassau. During the Prussian-Austrian war of 1866 Nassau just as Kurhessen fought on Austrian side, then victorious Prussia annexed these areas together with the free imperial city of Frankfurt am Main and summarised them to the Prussian province Hessen Nassau. In 1945 the American military government founded here the federal state great Hessen and did the former Nassau residence Wiesbaden to the Hessian capital.

 
 
[Sprache ändern]
 
Bacharach
Frankfurt am Main
Loreley
Oberwesel
Sankt Goar
Mainz
Eltville am Rhein
Cloisters and wine
Wiesbaden
Ingelheim am Rhein
Limes (latin = border)
Geisenheim
Oestrich-Winkel
Bad Kreuznach
Bingen am Rhein
Bad Homburg v.d.H.
Bad Schwalbach
Bad Sobernheim
Ruin Disibodenberg
 
 
print page (pdf)
 
back to start
 
forward to page 10