by the ship approx. 100 minutes to Saint Goar.
findings is proved that Saint Goar was already settled in Roman
time. Assistants were necessary, so that the ships could
overcome the reefs in the Loreley. Presumably there was also a
Rhine ferry which protected a Roman street to the close-situated
Limes. The small settlement owes its current name to the holy Goar,
an Aquitaine missionary. He sat down in the year 550 here and founded
in the Lohbach mouth a hermitage as well as a Christian hostel
for poor and travellers. His grave developed to a much-visited
pilgrimage site which was overseen by a cleric's community. Since
the 8-th century this council with its possession was subordinated
of the abbey Prüm (Eifel). First the counts of Arnstein and
from 1190 the counts of Katzenelnbogen were used as the stewards
of the cloister who were heir 1479 of the landgraves of Hessen.
1444 the Gothic hall of the monastery church was established. The
elegant net vaults and the colour creation are more than substantially.
The frescoes were discovered in 1905 again, they show the most
entire Late-Gothic decorations in Rhineland. The pulpit formed
with excellent sculptures of 1460 and two gravestones got over
the introduction of the Reformation as the only pieces of the equipment.
The grave monuments of Philipp II and his spouse Anna Elisabeth
von Bayern are in an own grave chapel. They come from Wilhelm Vernukken,
the master of the Cologne city hall vestibule.
The Catholic parish
church Saint Goar might be established 1660 only beyond the city
walls. This construction was substituted at
the end of 19-th century with the current one. The centre is a
Late-Gothic wing altar from the school of the house book master
around 1480. In the bell tower, earlier a gate tower of the city
wall, is immured a representation of the holy Goar, originally
a keystone of the monastery church. Above the right side altar
the cover plate of the Tumba of the saint's grave is let in, a
very expressive work of the 14-th century.