a very old winegrower's village. Some researchers gathered from
the suffix 'ingen' that this village is a foundation of the Alemanni.
The small council seal from the year 1667 shows as a local emblem
the letter “Y” which goes back to an old manner of
writing of the local name “Ybingen”.
The history of the village is close-knit with life and work
of the holy Hildegard von Bingen who founded there a cloister and
settled with Benedictines.
The cloister was repealed in 1814. Most
buildings were broken off, up to the minster which is today the parish
church of the
village, and the east wing of the cloister, the today's parsonage.
The parish church protects the bones of the holy Hildegard in a