It was Karl Maximilian Graf of Ostein who formed „the ample
Niederwald to a great park" in 1788 under the influence of
the romantic spirit of the times. Part of this park artwork according
to English model was the temple from which the famous English author
Edward George Bulwer-Lytton allows to say in his novel "Die
Pilger des Rheins" ecstatically, " that... Temple ...
controls one of the nicest views of earth! ". Goethe was seized "from
the beauty of the exceedingly splendid Rheingau" when he looked
of the temple in the Rhine scenery.
Many significant personalities
of the romanticism, like Clemens von Brentano, Achim von Arnim,
Friedrich von Schlegel, also young
Ludwig van Beethoven, Johannes Brahms or Ferdinand Freiligrath
have stayed in the temple. The row of those which could be found
here at this wide-praised place can be continued even further.
The temple was completely destroyed in November, 1944 with an air
raid on Ruedesheim.
To rebuild this temple the „Förderverein Wiederaufbau
Niederwaldtempel” has sat down to the purpose. On the 14th
November, 2005 the first spavin sting occurred. On the 5th June,
2006 the temple on the Niederwald was initiated anew.
support this association by entry (dues 36.00 € /
year) or donations. Tax-deductible allowance confirmations can
be issued. Donation account: No. 10181518 at Rheingauer Volksbank
Rürdesheim on the Rhine, bank code number 51091500.
interested in the temple and its history closer, is able to aquire
from the association the pamphlet "Der Tempel auf
dem Niederwald über Rüdesheim am Rhein - Die Geschichte
eines Kulturdenkmals und die Bemühungen um seine Wiederherstellung" against
payment of 4.00 €.
Please, turn to the association board of
director Mr. Werner Bürk,
Tel.:0049-6722/406340, fax: 0049-6722/406341.